Skip to content
lost, stolen passport

Lost your Passport?

Losing, having a passport stolen or having it damaged can happen. If you find yourself in such a situation, you will need to immediately contact the nearest United States Consulate to begin the process of securing a new one. Remember, if you do not have a valid passport, you will not be able to leave the country you are in to return to the United States. Further, if you are traveling in another country and need to return to the country in which you are studying, you might find that you cannot enter that country either. The following instructions concerning passport issues is taken from the U.S. Department of State website:

If your passport is lost or stolen while you are abroad, contact or visit the local United States embassy or consulate immediately and ask the American Citizens Services (ACS) unit to report the loss/theft. The consular officer there may have you fill out an affidavit or a sworn statement to state the circumstances under which you lost the passport or under which it was stolen.

*To find the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate, you may click: United States Embassies and Consulates.
Remember, embassy officials are there to help you. Telling the truth is always your best course of action – you don’t want to have any difficulties getting a new passport to get home.

Your identity and citizenship will need to be confirmed by the officer through a personal interview. The officer will then have you complete an application for a replacement passport to get you home safely. Usual application fees do apply if you have to replace your passport. However, if your money has also been stolen, we can help you contact friends or family to replenish your funds.

Also, you may now report your lost or stolen passport on line. For instructions and reporting information go U.S. Passports and International Travel.